Stained Glass

Before the invention of the printing press in the fifteenth century, the great majority of people were illiterate. Together with preaching, the wonderful story of the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus was told through the medium of stained glass. Christian churches had colored glass windows as early as the fifth century, but the art of stained glass reached its height in the Middle Ages, particularly 1150-1250. Not only does the glass provide visual beauty to the church, it also helps convey the meaning of God's Word.

The stained glass windows at Augustana Lutheran Church are made of Austrian glass and were purchased in Chicago. The windows were repaired by Glass Art of Winona, Minnesota in 1950 at the cost of $450 with ten tilt-in ventilators added at the bottom of each bay for $350 each. The church saved leftover glass from this repair job and when a window was removed to make a doorway to the Northwest parking lot. This glass was utilized in the 1979 renovation of the church undercroft. Frank's Follies in Hinton made the windows and door inserts for St Erik's Chapel. Norman Bennet made the large windows for the Wittenberg Library and the small windows in the offices.

The beauty and message of the ten large windows on the north and south sides of the nave have been part of the ministry of the congregation since the present church was built in 1889. The images in the windows depict a variety of theological statements from sacraments to symbols of faith to statements of how we understand God.

The windows are described in order beginning with the window in the northwest corner and ending with the window in the southwest corner.